Virtual Student Success Center
Welcome to the GateWay Community College Virtual Student Success Center. We've collected the best online resources to help you Start Strong and Stay on Track!
Preparing for Testing
GateWay Community College uses an assessment called ACCUPLACER to determine which Reading, English and Math courses you should enroll in. The following tools can help you prepare to do well on the ACCUPLACER. This test cannot be failed, but it is important to try your best!
- ACCUPLACER preparation resources from CollegeBoard.org
The Maricopa County Community College District has developed a Career Portal just for our students. The Maricopa Career Planning System gives you access to assessments, occupational information and job search tools that can help you find the best career path for you.
College is one of the biggest and best financial investments you can make in yourself. But how do you make sure that you’re making good choices about the rest of your financial life? Check out the resources below for information that can help you manage your money.
- CNN Money 101 is a free virtual money management course that can teach you how to budget, prepare for retirement and get out of debt.
- Mint.com is a free online budgeting tool that can help you see where your money is going every month.
- CreditKarma is a free online tool that allows you to check your credit reports and monitor changes in your credit score.
- SparkPeople is a free health tool that allows you to track your dietary intake and exercise. It has workout videos, healthy recipes and is a great resource for learning more about healthy living!
- Ashline is an excellent resource for smoking cessation. As of July 1, 2012, the Maricopa Community Colleges are 100% tobacco-free. Whether you are thinking about quitting, ready to quit or trying to stay tobacco-free, Ashline can help!
Time Management is the art of prioritizing, organizing, and scheduling your day so you can complete the activities that you need and want to do! We’ve scoured the web for the best resources to help you learn the delicate art of time management.
- Study Guides and Strategies has a free online course to help you learn time management skills. You can explore strategies for creating an effective time management plan.
- Time Management Printable Schedule will help you create a complete weekly schedule for yourself.
Many students never consider how they learn best. Perhaps you are a visual learner who can pick up information easily by reading a text or graph. Maybe you’re an auditory learner who learns by listening to a discussion or lecture. Or perhaps you’re tactile—the easiest way for you to learn is by touching or manipulating a model. It’s important to have an understanding of yourself and your learning style in the classroom so you can choose classes that will interest and challenge you.
Effective Study Groups
One of the most effective ways to study for many students is to form a study group. Research shows that students who are connected to a campus socially as well as academically do better in college. But how do you ensure that your study group is for studying, not just socializing? Check out the information below to learn how to form effective study groups.
HSI - Developing Hispanic-Serving Institutions Program
Student Success: Starting Strong and Staying on Track
Award # P031S090050