FREE Financial Literacy Workshop
Having a solid financial understanding is a critical skill in life. However, students are not learning the basic financial skills to ensure a life of financial well being. In fact, research by Charles Schwab and Co. shows that teaching financial literacy is not a priority with parents. While 70% of parents taught their teens to do laundry:
- Only 34% taught their teens to balance their checkbook
- Only 29% taught their teens about how credit card fees and interest work
Catholic Charities, in collaboration with GateWay Community College's Office of Student Financial Assistance, is happy to provide GateWay student population with two opportunities to attend a Financial Literacy workshop this month.
There will be two workshops to choose from providing identical material. April 16, Tuesday, from 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM and April 24, Wednesday, 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM.
This is a scholarship opportunity for qualified students (who have not attended a prior Financial Literacy workshop at GWCC) which may provide as much as $150 in scholarship assistance for this three hour workshop. The criteria for the scholarship is as follows:
- Must be an Arizona Resident and either a citizen of the United States, or an eligible non-citizen.
- Must be currently registered this semester at GateWay in at least 3 credit hours.
- Must have applied for Federal Aid (and list GateWay on their FAFSA) and have completed the application process.
- Must have “Need” according to the federal definition of “Need” (if students have questions they can contact email@example.com, or at, 602-392-5275. (If a student was awarded Pell Grant or a Subsidized loan, they typically have “Need”)
- Must attend one of the sessions arriving on time and staying through the entire session. Students must have proof of attendance.
The application process for the scholarship is simple (the student is required to be in attendance on time and throughout the workshop). The flyer for the workshop will be posted in our Financial Aid Blog on 4/9/2013. Scholarship applications will also be available on the day of the workshop. Visit our blog at http://gatewayccfinancialaid.blogspot.com/