Early College High School

Get Started

Dual Enrollment

The following steps will help you through the dual enrollment process:

Create Your Student Account

Get a jumpstart on the application process by setting up a student account at the my.maricopa.edu. Click on "Create or Reactivate MEID (MAW)" in the Technical Help section, click the checkbox next to "I am a new student", then continue on with the account creation process. You will receive an MEID and student ID number when you finish. Be sure to write these down! Click here for more detailed instructions. Please note that you will need to provide your social security number to complete the process online. If you don't know or don't wish to provide your SSN, you can complete this step and Step 2 by submitting a completed Admission Form in person to GateWay.

Apply for Admission

Next, log in to your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu. Scroll down to the Admissions section and click "Apply for Admission". Select "GateWay Community College" as your college, and "Degree and Cert Programs" for your program. You can also apply for admission by downloading and submitting a completed Admission Form.

To qualify for in-state tuition, send each college a copy of an acceptable document that shows your citizenship or legal residency.

Activate Your Maricopa Email Account

Go to google.maricopa.edu and log in using your MEID and password. Easy! Official college messages will come to this account, so make sure you check it frequently or forward it to your main email account using these directions.

Take Any Necessary Placement Tests

Students taking math or English courses need to pass college placement tests in order to register. See a list of the Maricopa Placement Scores for passing scores in each area. Students enrolling in other academic courses (for example, Physics, History, Spanish) must meet one of the following:

  • Composite score of 93 or more on the PSAT
  • Composite score of 930 or more on the SAT
  • Composite score of 22 or more on the ACT
  • Passing score on the relevant portions of AIMS
  • Completion of a college placement test

Students enrolling in vocational (Career and Technical Education) courses do not need to take placement tests. Review our testing requirements for more information.

Submit A Maricopa Grant Application (optional)

The Maricopa Grant is a need-based form of tuition assistance for dual enrollment students. Fill out the application packet, and include a documentation of financial need. Examples of documentation include your family's 2014 federal tax returns or a document showing you participate in one of the benefits programs listed at the bottom of the packet's first page.

Submit Your Registration Packet

Fill out the registration packet, and include a document showing lawful presence in the US (click for a list of eligible documents). You can also submit your lawful presence documentation at my.maricopa.edu/ID. Once your packet is complete, turn it in to your teacher or bring it to the IE Building at GateWay Community College.

Pay Tuition

Many high school districts pay a portion of your tuition for in-state students, making dual enrollment even more affordable for students. Check with your high school about dual enrollment rates. Once you're enrolled, you can pay through one of the following options:

  • Online at my.maricopa.edu - log in to your Student Center and click the "Payment Options" button in the Finances section. Paying online also gives you the option of signing up for a monthly payment plan.
  • In person at GateWay Community College
  • Over the phone - call 602-286-2877, then be ready to provide your student ID number and credit/debit card information

We've compiled the following list of frequently asked questions in order to help expedite your search for information.

How do dual enrollment credits transfer?

Review the Course Equivalency Guide to see how community college courses transfer to three Arizona universities. If you are planning to attend an out-of-state university, check with that institution to see how credits will transfer.

How do I send my transcripts to another college?

  • Go to the Online Student Center.
  • Click on login, then use your MEID and password to log in.
  • In the Academics section of your Student Center, click on the white drop-down menu.
  • Select Official Transcript or Unofficial Transcript, click the arrow.
  • Follow the directions on screen to complete the process.
  • Transcripts within the Maricopa Community College District are free; transcripts sent outside the Community College District cost $5 each.

How do AP credits differ from dual enrollment credits?

At the end of an AP course, students complete a test. The outcome of that test determines how many college credits they receive. Dual enrollment credits are earned through coursework that demonstrates college competencies have been met.

As a dual enrollment student, can I use the GateWay library?

Yes, you may use all of GateWay's student resources including library access