Fall 2012 Student Conference for Success
Learn skills and tips to make the most of your college experience
Official programming begins at 9:30 a.m. and will run until 3 p.m.
If you have a class during that time, please don't worry! Everyone can benefit from this program, whether you are able to attend one session or the entire conference.
This event is free and open to all registered GateWay students. Registration is required.
10 a.m. - Session A (choose one)
- Math Survival Skills (MA1100N): Do you stress out about math? Relax! This workshop offers helpful, practical strategies for success in math classes.
- Habits of Successful College Writers (MA1100S): Attendees will learn strategies that students can adopt to write more effectively and earn better grades on their college writing assignments.
- Student Success 101 (MA2116): Meet the Peer Advocates and learn all about Student Success at GateWay!
- Financial Aid 101 (IE1200): Learn about the Financial Aid process and how you can use your aid wisely!
- What can PROSPER do for you? (MA1309): Come learn more about this great program and hear from some of the students who have benefited from it.
11 a.m. - Session B (choose one)
- Veteran’s 101 (MA1100N): An overview of the Veterans services offered at GateWay and in the community.
- &Classroom Etiquette and Civility (MA1100S): This session will focus on classroom culture and how to make a positive first impression on your instructor and fellow classmates.
- Maricopa Nursing Advising Session (MA2116): Attend this session to learn more about the nursing programs that are offered at GateWay including Nurse Assisting, Practical Nursing and Registered Nursing.
- Have a Job by Graduation! (IE1234): Attend this workshop for a detailed look at the modern path to achieving your career dreams!
- Scholarship Hunt (MA2128): Learn about how scholarships work, where to look for them, and the basics on how to apply.
12 p.m. - Session C (choose one)
- Grammar Workshop (MA1100N): Come learn about the basic building blocks of the English language and how to correctly use them in your writing!
- A.C.H.I.E.V.E. Success in Math (MA1100S): Our Math department head will help you develop the tools to A.C.H.I.E.V.E. success in all your courses!
- Microsoft Word 2007 and Basic Computer Skills *Double Session 12 to 2 p.m.* (MA2116) Learn the basics of word processing and how to access and use your Student Center, Email, and Blackboard.
- Procrastination and Time Management (IE2100): Do you find it harder and harder to get started on your homework and projects? Come learn some of the tricks and tips to motivate yourself and get started!
- Connect2NAU (IE1200): Interested in transferring for a BA or BS? Come learn about how you can finish your degree on the GW campus through NAU!
1 p.m. - Session D (choose one)
- Tearing into Textbooks (MA1100S): Tearing into textbooks will give students several strategies to use to increase the comprehension of college-level textbooks. Suggestions and examples will be provided which can easily be applied to any textbook for any class.
- Library 101 (IE1115): An overview of available services & resources, highlighting library catalog, databases, streaming media, ebooks, and more!
- Male Empowerment Network (IE1200): Men are 2 times less likely to graduate from college than women. Come learn about support and resources for the men at GateWay!