Learning Center Resources
Learning, Study and Test-Taking Strategies
- HowToStudy.org links you to general and subject-specific study tips and resources.
- Study Guides and Strategies helps you with learning, studying, reading, writing, and thinking in college — even in different languages, including Arabic.
- Virginia Tech offers online study skills workshops and can help you discover how you could improve your studying with a Study Skill Checklist and a Study Environment Analysis.
- Study Guide Zone provides study tips, study guides, and practice questions for exams like HESI A2, NCLEX, GED, and placement exams.
- Free Rice donates rice to feed the hungry as it tests your knowledge of English, Spanish, basic math, art, and anatomy and physiology.
- Quizlet generates games and quizzes based on digital flash cards that you or others have made.
- StudyBlue lets you create digital flash cards or study from others' flash cards, even on your iPhone or Android smartphone.
- Khan Academy has over 3,400 short YouTube videos on math, science, computer science, economics, art history, and history.
- ARC Links points you to notes, tutorials, worksheets, and videos from college-level instructors and organizations, with a special focus on computer science and networking.
- GCFLearnFree.org has interactive tutorials and videos on computer skills, e-mail, the Internet, and Microsoft Office programs (Word, PowerPoint, and so on).
- Khan Academy offers short YouTube videos on introductory biology and anatomy and physiology (see also Khan Academy's Healthcare and Medicine videos).
- MedlinePlus has short A.D.A.M. videos that can introduce you to anatomy and physiology or help you review it.
- Professor Alex Imholtz's Biology Page helps you master anatomy and physiology and histology with notes, diagrams, videos, sample exam questions, practice lab practicals, and links to tutorials and other resources.
- Khan Academy offers short YouTube videos on chemistry and organic chemistry.
- The University of Memphis's Foundations of Chemistry explains concepts and demonstrates dimensional analysis, calculations, and formulas.
- Chemistry Drills generates practice problems in naming compounds, balancing chemical equations, and predicting reactants and products.
- Calvalcade's Practice Chemistry Worksheets give you practice in significant figures, stoichiometry, naming compounds, and more.
- Purdue OWL takes you through the writing process, how to improve your writing, and how to cite sources according to MLA or APA style.
- UNC Writing Center demonstrates strategies for improving your writing by videos and well-organized handouts.
- English Works! helps you to improve your grammar, vocabulary, and writing, especially with its Essay CheckList.
- CUNY has interactive writing tutorials explaining the writing process.
- Dictionary.com, Thesaurus.com, and M-W.com are handy reference tools for better word choice in your writing.
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online and Merriam-Webster Learner's Dictionary make English easy to learn and understand.
- BBC Learning English provides many resources for learning and practicing English.
- CUNY has interactive grammar tutorials
- English Works! explains grammar and punctuation rules and has grammar practice exercises.
- ESLgold.com has listening exercises and other resources for learning and practicing English.
- ManyThings.org has games, video exercises, and audio recordings to help you practice English.
- English Grammar Online 4 U has articles, exercises, games, and quizzes for practicing English.
- Activities for ESL Students offers many quizzes, tests, exercises, and puzzles to help you learn English as a Second Language — even bilingual quizzes using Arabic, French, Spanish, Somali, and other languages.
- Voice of America uses news stories and practical activities to teach everyday English.
- 365 ESL Short Stories for intermediate ESL students is great for practicing reading.
- 5 Minute English provides short and easy explanations and exercises for learning English as a Second Language.
- The California Distance Learning Project offers news stories and articles for practicing reading in various life topics.
- Learn how to study math and get “cheat” sheets of common formulas from Professor Paul Dawkins.
- Purplemath explains arithmetic, algebra, and trigonometry through text-based tutorials, links you to helpful math websites, and coaches you in math study skills.
- Mathispower4u Tutorials by James Sousa, math professor at Phoenix College, uses YouTube videos and a blog to help you with all levels of GateWay math classes.
- Khan Academy offers short YouTube videos and practice problems for arithmetic, geometry, algebra, trigonometry, precalculus, calculus, probability, and statistics.
- PatrickJMT uses short YouTube videos to demonstrate and explain problems in arithmetic, algebra, trigonometry, calculus, probability, and statistics.
- HippoCampus has interactive tutorials, videos, and presentations on arithmetic, algebra, calculus, and statistics — some even in Spanish.
- Algebra2Go has videos, notes, practice problems, and tools for arithmetic, algebra, calculus 1, and calculus 2 — some even in Spanish.
- WTAMU's Virtual Math Lab has text-based and video tutorials on algebra and the Accuplacer placement test.
- InterAct Math can walk you through practice problems based on your textbook.
- Incompetech offers printable graph paper templates.
- HowToStudy.org helps you learn how to study and write for nursing.
- MCC's Nursing Objects Library connects you to online resources on assessment, nursing concepts, pharmacology, and more.
- MedicalMnemonics.com can help you remember medical facts.
- RxList has an online drug encyclopedia including a pill identifier, as well as other health information, slideshows, and images from WebMD.
- MedlinePlus provides trustworthy and easy-to-understand health information, patient discharge instructions, videos, and medical reference resources.
- Khan Academy offers short YouTube videos on physics.
- FearOfPhysics.com explains physics through short YouTube video lessons and demonstrations of common physics problems.
- EasyPhysics.net provides brief text-based tutorials and practice exercises.
- Psych Web introduces you to psychology and resources related to it.
- AlleyDog.com has a glossary, APA writing tips, notes and articles on psychology topics, and more.
- GCC's Psychology Department links you to more online psychology resources.
- Cuesta College helps you improve your reading skills and vocabulary, especially through its lists of common word roots and prefixes.
- Vocabulary.com adapts to your knowledge of vocabulary and teaches you useful words through questions and a dictionary with fun and memorable definitions.
- The Longman Vocabulary Website reveals your knowledge of word parts, synonyms, antonyms, homonyms, easily confused words, and more.
- Townsend Press Learning Center has exercises to practice your reading skills.
Director, Learning Center
Monday-Thursday: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Closed: Dec. 24 - Jan. 3
Fall and Spring
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Saturday: 8 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: Closed