Prague boasts one of the world’s most pristine and varied collections of architecture, from Gothic to Renaissance, Baroque, Neo-Classical, Art Nouveau, Cubist and Ultra-Modern. Some of the most well-known sights that you will have the opportunity to visit include Old Town Square in Prague (a market square since the 11th century), Prague Castle, St. Vitus Cathedral, Vyšehrad Castle ruins, Charles Bridge, the Jewish Quarter and Wenceslas Square. You can also enjoy listening to Anton Dvorak’s “New World Symphony” in one of the many concert halls around the city.
Included in the program, for all classes, except HUM245 is a 5 night excursion to Brno, Moravia and Vienna, Austria. HUM245 will spend 3 nights in Krakow, Poland and tour Auschwitz.
Become one of the many program alumni and gain free bragging rights for the rest of your life! Apply early because space is limited. Make this your year to expand your mind!
The Czech Republic is geographically situated in the center of Europe. Czechs like to think of their country as “the bridge between East and West.” Bordering Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Austria, the country has always been an important crossroad.
The City of Prague is also known as the “City of 100 Spires.” Its compact medieval center remains an evocative maze of cobbled lanes, ancient courtyards, mysterious passages and churches beyond number, all watched over by a 1000 year-old castle. Prague was one of the few European cities relatively untouched during the world wars, allowing its historic architecture to stay true to form. Prague is a traditional cultural center of Europe, hosting many festivals and concerts.
The dates of the 2017 Prague Program are June 21 - July 28. In country classes will take place at GateWay on June 21 - July 3. Departure to the Czech Republic is July 5 arriving in Prague July 6. Departure is July 28.
The total program cost is $2,421 plus $258 tuition for (1) 3-credit class = $2,679
Airfare, meals and $15 college enrollment fee not included. Scholarships are available.
Program fee includes:
- Tuition for one 3-credit course
- Lodging for entire stay in Prague
- Transportation and lodging for five nights in Krakow, Poland for the HUM 245, all other classes will travel to Brno, Moravia and Vienna, Austria
- Weekly cultural activities
- Unlimited pass for bus, tram or metro within Prague
- Farewell dinner and river cruise
- Presentations and guest lectures by scholars living in Prague
- Student medical insurance
- Entrance fees and guided tours of selected Prague sites including Prague Castle, Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square, Jewish Quarter and other sites in the Czech Republic
Application deadline is April 30, 2017.
Classes being offered by GateWay Community College are 3 credit courses.
- ARH 102 - Art History - Renaissance to Contemporary Art
- ART 142 - Introduction to Digital Photography
- HUM 245 - Introduction to Holocaust Studies
- HUM 108 - Contemporary Humanities - "Forging the Modern Self: Identity, the Unconscious, and the Avant Garde."
All information sessions are located at the GateWay Washington Campus .
- Sept. 23, 2016, Friday 6-7 p.m. - IE 2214
- Oct. 19, 2016, Wednesday 6-7 p.m. - IE 1322
- Nov. 14, 2016, Monday, 6-7 p.m. - IE 1322
- Dec. 12, 2016, Monday, 3-4 p.m. - IE 2214
- Jan. 26, 2017, Thursday, 4-5 p.m. - IE 1322
- Feb. 21, 2017, Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. - IE 1322
- March 22, 2017, Wednesday, 6-7 p.m. - IE 1322
- April 29, 2017, Saturday, 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. (lunch will be served)
Deadline is February 15, 2017.
Early Deadline is October 4, 2017
Summer Application Deadline is March 7, 2017.