A degree in nursing provides many options, giving you the ability to decide where you want to go with your career.
Registered Nurses (RNs) are trusted care providers, client advocates and educators, making a difference in our community and in the world each day.
RNs are educated as a generalists who deliver health care to clients and family groups. Our program includes the competencies related to the art and science of nursing. Graduates receiving an AAS degree in Nursing are eligible to apply for licensure as an RN.
Employment is found in a variety of acute, long-term and community-based healthcare settings, including:
- Home Health Care Agencies
- Nursing Homes
- Community Health Agencies
RN's function within the legal scope of practice and use professional standards when caring for clients and families across the life span.
For more information, visit MaricopaNursing.
Degrees & Certificates
Program Delivery Methods
MaricopaNursing at GateWay offers several schedules to meet the needs of today's student. Classes are offered in an accelerated option (one block will occur during the summer months), traditional day program, and a full-time evening program which includes evening classes usually two days per week with additional labs and clinicals possible on Fridays, Saturdays, and/or Sundays (depending on clinical availability).
AAS Degree in Nursing Program Options:
4 Semester Traditional Option
Classes begin each Fall semester. Classes are offered in day hours. Clinical experiences are generally scheduled during the daytime hours with occasional night and weekend rotations. Once admitted to this program, students can expect to complete the A.A.S. Degree in Nursing in 4 semesters.
Classes are scheduled 2 nights per week, extending past traditional semester boundaries. Clinical work experience is a program requirement and may occur during days, nights, Fridays and weekends with 12-hour shifts in selected specialties. Upon admission, students may expect to complete the part-time option in 24 months.
Accelerated Degree Option
Classes extend past the traditional semester boundaries including summer months. Clinical experiences may occur during the day or evening hours with occasional weekends. Once admitted to the Nursing Program, students can expect to complete the A.A.S. Degree in Nursing in approximately 16 months.
The following information has been compiled to help assist students wishing to enter the RN program at GateWay.
- Review Nursing Newsletter that lists course requirements.
- The Nursing Program accepts all completed applications; no provisional or incomplete applications are accepted.
- Applications that meet all admission requirements are accepted at any time during regular campus business hours and applications may be turned in at any college that offers the MaricopaNursing Program.
- At the end of each application period (application periods are listed in each application), the campus advisor will enter the student's application information into the MaricopaNursing computer database.
- All applications received during each defined period will receive a random date and time stamp.
- MaricopaNursing has a diverse student population and does not consider age, ethnicity, nor gender in selection of students.
- All students must apply for admission to the college where they will take their nursing courses and complete all required residency and verification documents prior to registering for any nursing courses. See the following steps to learn how to enroll at this campus.
- An MCCCD supplemental background check and an Arizona Department of Public Safety Level-One Fingerprint Clearance card are required for students interested in any Allied Health and Nursing programs offered by Maricopa Community Colleges. For more information about this new requirement, please visit healthcare.maricopa.edu.
For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, wage and employment trend information.
Accreditation is a process used to measure and certify the credibility and quality of services offered by an organization.
The Maricopa Nursing Program is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing, and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
GateWay is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
RN-NCLEX Pass Rates
GateWay is one of nine Maricopa County Community College District (MCCD) colleges that offer an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Nursing. Graduates of this nursing program are eligible to take the national licensing examination (NCLEX-RN), through the Arizona Board of Nursing, to become licensed registered nurses.
|Maricopa Nursing at GateWay Community College (current as of fall 2009)||State||National Average Associate Degree Programs|
|96%||89.74 %||88.6 %|
Approved by the Arizona Board of Nursing. Learn more.
Why should you choose an accredited school?
Although many schools offer seemingly similar degree and certification options, not all schools are accredited. In many instances, accreditation of the degree or program you complete may be required in order to become certified to work in the field.