Retail management involves handling day-to-day responsibilities of running a store and large amounts of money in annual revenue, and overseeing employees.
Retail managers use sophisticated software to take care of business tasks including:
- Managing budgets
- Scheduling work
- Tracking & ordering products
- Setting prices
- Controlling inventory
- Managing shelf space
- Assessing product profitability
First-line managers supervise retail sales employees and workers in specialty departments. Responsibilities in managing staff include:
- Training employees
- Scheduling work hours
- Overseeing orders
- Inspection of goods and services
- Reviewing the price of goods
- Measuring the inventory of goods
- Monitoring sales activity
- Creating reports for store managers
This rapidly changing industry sees diversifying inventories as a way of catering to one-stop shoppers. Employment is found in small and large retail stores, grocery stores and more.
Request More Information
First Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers **
Certificate of Completion in Retail Management: $2,109*
Associate in Applied Science in Retail Management: $5,688*
Consumer Info: Retail Management
* Please note that these are only estimates and do not include books. These estimates may change based on increases to tuition, course fees and book costs. Estimates are based on the 2016-2017 tuition rates for in-county students. Additional fees may apply.
** For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, as well as wage and employment trend information.