Environmental sustainability involves the preservation and protection of resources for future generations. As a member of the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE), GateWay, in conjunction with the Maricopa Community College District is committed to improving the environmental impact on our future by creating a more sustainable institution.
Go Green GateWay
GateWay Community College participates in the following sustainability efforts:
- Use of energy efficient light bulbs
- Summer thermostat adjustment
- Reflective roof coating
- Installation of high efficiency chillers
- Trip reduction or alternate use transportation
- Sustainable construction/building practices on new facilities
- Water refill stations
- Recycling through Recycle 1 (paper, plastic, cans, cardboard, metals)
- Any revenue made by recycling put back into initiatives
- Purchase of green power through APS
- IE Building LEED Gold
- Carpet purchased made with less energy
- Prius hybrid vehicle purchased – replacing old model car
- Lights out Tuesdays – sustainability awareness events
- Carpool parking spots (6)
- Local farmers market on campus
- Solar Voltaic Installer program at Central City Campus
Interested in being a part of GateWay's sustainability initiatives? Join Go Green GateWay, a club for students, faculty and staff that promotes and coordinates on-campus sustainability projects and activities.
Climate Action Plan
In 2009, the Maricopa Community College District (MCCD) signed the American College and Universities Presidents Climate Commitment (ACUPCC) and in doing so, has made a district-wide pledge to practicing sustainability, now and in the future. GateWay recognizes this challenge and has developed a college-level Climate Action Plan to make a positive impact. Students, faculty and staff are encouraged to participate on and off-campus.