Peter Zawicki, PT, MS, has been the Program Director and Director of Clinical Education for the Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) Program at GateWay Community College since the program was founded in 1993. Peter received a Bachelor of Science degree in Physical Therapy from the University of Illinois at the Medical Center as well as a Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Administration from DePaul University. Prior to becoming an educator at GateWay he worked at hospitals in Chicago and the Phoenix area as a staff physical therapist, director of physical therapy, and director of rehabilitation services. His clinical experience includes providing physical therapy services in acute care hospitals, acute and subacute rehabilitation facilities, outpatient and home health care settings. Peter continues to work part-time as a staff physical therapist at a local hospital in the Phoenix area. Throughout his career Peter has been active in professional activities including serving on several committees with the Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy (FSBPT), the Arizona Physical Therapy Association, and the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). He is a member of the American and Arizona Physical Therapy Associations. During his tenure at GateWay he has held positions as the chair of the Health Sciences Division, faculty senator, and President of the faculty senate. Honors and awards received include: 2002, 2006, 2012 – Innovation of the Year Awards – GateWay Community College 2003 – Distinguished Service Award – FSBPT 2013 – FA Davis Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Educator – American Physical Therapy Association 2016 – Outstanding Physical Therapist of the Year – Arizona Physical Therapy Association 2017 – McDougal Long Term Service Award – FSBPT Peter cherishes his work with students and faculty in the PTA Program as well as his work with patients as a physical therapist. He strives to bring compassion, energy, enthusiasm, and excellent clinical decision-making to his work in education and in clinical practice.
Professional highlights include:
- Program Director of the Physical Therapist Assistant Program at GateWay since the program began in 1993
- More than 35 years of experience as a practicing physical therapist
- Received the FA Davis Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Educator Award from the American Physical Therapy Association in 2013
- Received Outstanding Physical Therapist of the Year in 2016 from the Arizona Physical Therapy Association
- M.S. in Rehabilitation Administration from DePaul University
- B.S. in Physical Therapy from the University of Illinois Medical Center