Professor Mills is a practicing sculptor with a national show record with outdoor permanent pieces in Arizona and Nevada and also designed and equipped the indoor/outdoor Art Studio at GateWay which includes a foundry, forge, 5000lb lifting cranes and full ceramics, painting and drawing studio space. From 2008 – 2018, Mills directed an International Study Abroad Program to Prague, Czech Republic and in 2013, she attended the Summer Academy in Oswiecim, Poland. (Auschwitz). In the summer of 2014 she was accepted as a visiting artist/scholar at the American Academy in Rome. Professor Mills has enjoyed 20 years of teaching in the Fine Arts, Humanities, Art History and Philosophy disciplines.
Professional highlights include:
- Full-time faculty in arts and humanities at GateWay for 14 years
- Program Director of GateWay’s Prague Study Abroad Program from 2008 – 2018
- Designed and directed the building of the new art studio classroom at GateWay, which is equipped for painting, life drawing, sculpture and ceramics classes
- Nationally known sculptor with permanent outdoor sculptures in Arizona and Nevada
- In July 2014, was a visiting scholar and artist at the American Academy in Rome, which was supported through Maricopa Faculty Professional Growth funding
- In July 2013, attended the Auschwitz Summer Academy, which involved five days of lectures and tours studying the current pedagogy of Holocaust Studies
- M.A. in Sculpture from Southern Illinois University
- B.A. in Sculpture from the University of Illinois
In her spare time Mills enjoys traveling, swimming, reading and spending time with her wife and beloved dachshund puppies.