The Certificate of Competency in Spanish Interpreting for Healthcare Professionals prepares bilingual healthcare workers with the knowledge and skills necessary to gain certification as a Spanish medical interpreter. Program participants will be introduced to the field of interpreting, professional ethics, legal issues, standards of practice, and cultural awareness across both languages during this 120-hour program that includes a 40-hour externship. Emphasis is placed on practicing interpretation in the consecutive, simultaneous, and sight translation modes. Upon successful completion of the program, students will have exceeded the minimum training requirements for certification and will be eligible to take national certification examinations through the Certification Commission for Healthcare Interpreters (CCHI).
This program is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
Program participants must demonstrate proof of prior healthcare worker experience during the enrollment process. Externship hours are site specific and may require attendance any day of the week, including during unscheduled days and times. Program is not financial aid eligible.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate general proficiency in speaking and understanding each of the relevant languages including identifying cognates and false cognates in the healthcare setting.
- Employ commonly used medical terms and concepts related to signs, symptoms, illnesses, treatments, and healthcare specialties in each language.
- Use critical thinking skills to optimize communication between patients and providers who speak different languages.
- Utilize ethical decision-making processes to serve as a patient-provider advocate in the healthcare setting.
- Abide by applicable HIPPA laws for the patient.
- Maintain thorough and complete encounter documentation.
- Manage cultural diversity in the healthcare setting.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Interpreters and Translators
Health & Safety Documents
1. Current and valid government issued photo identification
2. 18 years of age to enroll
3. High school diploma or GED
4. Arizona Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card (DPS)
5. Proof of immunizations
6. Healthcare Level CPR Card
7. Healthcare signature form completed by physician
8. MCCCD Supplemental Background Check
9. MCCCD Random Drug Screen showing negative results
1. Receive a `Pass` on the bilingual written exam
2. Receive a `Pass` on the bilingual oral exam
The following is the suggested course sequence by block. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with a navigator to discuss their academic and career goals.
- The course sequence is laid out by block and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- This is a cohort program in which students progress through their course of study together in the required course sequence.
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|MIC104||Medical Spanish/English Interpreting||Prerequisites: Program admission.||80|
|MIC105||Medical Interpreter: Professional Externship||Prerequisites: MIC101 and MIC103 (within three years).||40|
Students must earn a grade of ‘P’ or ‘C’ or better (depending on the course grading scale) for all courses required within the program.
Weekly hour requirements vary by program. Students should meet with a navigator to discuss these requirements further. Actual completion times may vary. A separate $15 Registration Fee will be charged per academic year.
This certificate is not eligible for Title IV Federal Financial Aid.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Competency in Spanish Interpreting for Healthcare Professionals (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm12?id=148577).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.