What is First Year Experience (FYE)
The First Year Experience sets a foundation for you, an incoming first-time college student, to be successful in your academic career. The First Year Experience makes you feel connected to the campus, empowering you by teaching you how to use your resources. We realize you are a diverse individual with your own needs, and we want to ensure that you feel supported in the transition to college.
Many resources and programs exist to help you acclimate to being a college student and ensure success.
GateWay provides you with a variety of resources and services to help you succeed. Student services include tutoring, mentoring, counseling and support, power math camps, writing workshops, resume building and interview preparation. These helpful resources can be found on campus:
- Career Center/IE1234
- Computer Labs (Library & Learning Center)
- Disability Resources /IE1208
- Learning Center/IE2109
- Student Life/MA1132
- Veterans Services/MA1220
At GateWay, we facilitate the transition into college by assisting and preparing you for college-level work. First-time college students sometimes find themselves struggling in subjects such as math or writing, so a four-day Math Camp is offered at the beginning of each semester as well as writing workshops to help you improve your math competencies and literacy if needed.
Student support programs are available to help you transition into being a first-time college student, but are offered continuously throughout your academic career at GateWay. These programs include:
- TRIO-Prosper: A student support services program created to aid in academic development, assist students with basic college requirements and motivate students.
- LIFT:(Learn and Invest in your Future Training): A mentoring and scholarship program for high school students who are first-generation college students and must be willing to attend summer school prior to the start of fall semester.
- LINC: (Learn, Inspire, Navigate, Connect): A mentoring program where students can sign up to be assigned to a mentor.
New Student Orientation
Welcome to GateWay Community College, home of the Geckos!
New Student Orientation is important for you to attend because it provides you with information about campus resources and allows you an opportunity to tour the campus.
To sign up for the new student orientation you'll need to log into your Online Student Center. If you haven't already created an MEID you'll need to do so. Just follow the instruction provided by the Online Student Center.