Deadline for Spring 2020 is Nov. 15, 2019
Spring Program Dates: Jan. 18 - May 9, 2020, 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. (times may vary due to activities)
Application Deadline: Nov. 15
- Earn up to six college credits
- Attend skills workshops
- Meet invited Native American guest speakers
- Explore careers
- FREE Tuition, fees and textbooks
About the Hoop of Learning Program
The Hoop of Learning Program is an early college high school bridge program administered by the Maricopa County Community Colleges District. Born from a need to help Native American students stay in school and pursue a college degree, the Hoop of Learning Program has celebrated over a decade of success and continues to grow.
The Hoop of Learning program offers a conceptual design tailored specifically to meet the academic and cultural needs of Native American students. Basic tenets of the model replicate the indigenous Circle of Life philosophy long practiced by Native American peoples of the North and South Americas. These tenets include:
- Traditional Native worldview of lifelong development
- Developing strong positive cultural identities and integrity
- Culturally relevant education
- Traditional Tribal community facilitated by a broad network of relations
- Individuals contributing to the well being of the community
- Native people serving as role models
Costs and Scholarships
Scholarships are available to all eligible participants. Scholarships cover the cost of tuition (up to 12 credits per year), fees and textbooks.
- Must have minimum high school GPA 2.0
- Incoming high school sophomore, junior and senior students are eligible to apply
- Must be American Indian or a member of a state or federally recognized tribe
How to Apply
- Download and print the Application.
- Complete and sign all necessary documents with your parents
- Provide High School Transcripts
- Provide Copy of Tribal Affiliation (C.I.B., tribal enrollment card, etc.)
- Provide Copy of Evidence of Lawful Presence (see application for acceptable documentation)
- Deliver all documents to the Hoop of Learning program office
- GWCC Hoop of Learning, MA Building/MA2212
MCCCD Grant Application for HOOP of Learning Students
Iris Calderon, M.Ed.