Due to travel restrictions to select countries caused by the COVID-19 virus, this program has been canceled for Summer 2020.
Immerse yourself in a world of contrasts: Ancient Culture and Modern Technology!
- Do you like Anime & Manga?
- Are you interested in the latest Fashion trends?
- Would you like to see Robots building Robots?
- Do you crave bento boxes for lunch?
In the Summer 2020 GateWay Community College Study Abroad Program in Japan, you will learn about the cultural and historical heritage and tradition of Japan as well as the current business, economic and entrepreneurial environment. Japan, the "Land of the Rising Sun," boasts the third largest economy in the world and has been known for decades as one of the world's cultural, technological, and economic hubs. Japan is important to the United States from economic, political, strategic and technological perspectives.
The City of Fukuoka has the highest rate of start-up businesses in Japan, which makes it the ideal location to study the business, economic and entrepreneurial environment! International Business lectures and presentations will be given by Fukuoka City Officials and local Entrepreneurs. Students will visit the Yaskawa Robot Factory. Japanese cultural excursions will include participating in a Japanese Tea Ceremony, Kyushu National Museum visit, a martial arts class, and a Kimono dress up experience.
Highlights of your stay in Japan will include the time you spend with your Japanese host family, and your participation in a “Business Start Up Weekend” with Japanese students from the Robert T. Huang Entrepreneurship Center at Kyushu university. This is a rare opportunity to establish relationships with Japanese current and future business leaders and to get a glimpse into trade etiquette and the way of life in Japan.
Students will enroll in two 3-credit courses through Mesa Community College.
IBS109 - Cultural Dimension for International Trade (and either)
JPN115 -Beginning Japanese Conversation I
(or) JPN116 -Beginning Japanese Conversation II
IBS109 meet the following General Education requirements:
Global Awareness [G] And Social and Behavioral Sciences [SB]
Space is limited to 20 students. Apply early to secure your space!
Application Deadline: Friday, February 14, 2020.
Late applications will be accepted on a case-by-case basis.
Schedule for the 2020 Japan Program follows:
|Online instruction:||May 2020|
|Departure from Phoenix:||May 24, 2020|
|Arrive in Fukuoka, Japan:||May 25, 2020|
|Program in Fukuoka, Japan:||May 25-June 10, 2020|
|Program Ends; Return to U.S. (or start personal travel in Japan/Asia):||June 10, 2020|
Estimated to be approximately $3,000 per person. Final figures will be available soon. (Airfare, textbook, and passport not included.)
Scholarships are available.
Tuition estimated based on Maricopa County residency. Actual tuition may vary based on residency status.
Program Fee Due: Friday, February 28, 2020
$250 Confirmation Deposit Due (towards total program fee): upon acceptance; confirmation deposit is non-refundable after the program fee payment deadline of Feb. 28, 2020.
Tuition is due by Tuesday, April 14, 2020.
Program fee includes:
- Application fee
- Lodging for entire stay in Fukuoka, Japan (including three-night stay with Japanese host family)
- Orientation on very basic business etiquette, culture and manners before arrival in Japan
- Farewell event in Japan
- Presentations, guest lectures, study excursions and guided tours of sites relevant to business, entrepreneurship and culture.
- Entrepreneurship Activity: Work on teams with business ideas, product/services prototypes, customer validation, business model and execution; and final business plans and presentations.
- Experiential Japanese Learning Projects – Practice speaking Japanese with native speakers while in Japan
- Student international medical insurance
Costs not included in program fee:
- Optional tours
- Lunches and dinners except for two nights
- Airfare between Phoenix to Fukuoka
- Tuition* and fees for 6 credit hours
- Passport fee
- Personal expenses
*Tuition estimated based on Maricopa County residency. Actual tuition may vary based on residency status.
Anyone interested in finding out more about Study Abroad can attend one of the sessions listed below. Location to come. All sessions are located on the GateWay-Washington Campus.
Mesa Community College has an excellent guide on paying for a Study Abroad.