Immerse yourself in a world of contrasts: Ancient Culture and Modern Technology!
- Do you like Anime & Manga?
- Are you interested in the latest Fashion trends?
- Would you like to see Robots building Robots?
- Do you crave bento boxes for lunch?
In the Summer 2019 GateWay Community College Study Abroad Program in Japan, you will learn about the cultural and historical heritage and tradition of Japan as well as the current business, economic and entrepreneurial environment. Japan, the "Land of the Rising Sun," boasts the third largest economy in the world and has been known for decades as one of the world's cultural, technological, and economic hubs. Japan is important to the United States from economic, political, strategic and technological perspectives.
If you do not have a Maricopa Enterprise ID (MEID) account you can apply here.
The City of Fukuoka has the highest rate of start-up businesses in Japan, which makes it the ideal location to study the business, economic and entrepreneurial environment! International Business lectures and presentations will be given by Fukuoka City Officials and local Entrepreneurs. Students will visit the Yaskawa Robot Factory. Japanese cultural excursions will include participating in a Japanese Tea Ceremony, Kyushu National Museum visit, a martial arts class, and a Kimono dress up experience.
Highlights of your stay in Japan will include the time you spend with your Japanese host family, and your participation in a “Business Start Up Weekend” with Japanese students from the Robert T. Huang Entrepreneurship Center at Kyushu university. This is a rare opportunity to establish relationships with Japanese current and future business leaders and to get a glimpse into trade etiquette and the way of life in Japan.
Students will enroll in two 3-credit courses through GateWay Community College.
IBS109 - Cultural Dimension for International Trade (and either)
JPN115 -Beginning Japanese Conversation I
(or) JPN116 -Beginning Japanese Conversation II
IBS109 meet the following General Education requirements:
Global Awareness [G] And Social and Behavioral Sciences [SB]
Space is limited to 20 students. Apply early to secure your space!
Application Deadline: March 31, 2019, or earlier if program is filled.
The travel dates of the 2019 Japan Program to come.
Departure to Japan is to come.
Arrival back to the United States to come.
The total program cost will be provided in Fall 2018 and will include fees and tuition.
(Airfare, textbook, and passport not included.)
Scholarships are available.
Tuition estimated based on Maricopa County residency. Actual tuition may vary based on residency status.
Program Fees must be Paid in Full by Saturday, April 13, 2019
Tuition is due by Tuesday, April 16, 2019.
Program fee includes:
- Application fee
- Lodging for entire stay in Fukuoka, Japan (including five-night stay with Japanese host family)
- Orientation on very basic business etiquette, culture and manners before arrival in Japan
- Meals in Japan
- Farewell event in Japan
- Presentations, guest lectures, study excursions and guided tours of sites relevant to business, entrepreneurship and culture.
- Start Up Weekend with students from the Robert T. Huang Entrepreneurship Center of Kyushu University to work on teams with business ideas, product/services prototypes, customer validation, business model and execution; and final business plans and presentations
- Experiential Japanese Learning Projects – Practice speaking Japanese with native speakers while in Japan
- Student international medical insurance
Anyone interested in finding out more about Study Abroad can attend one of the sessions listed below. All sessions are located on the GateWay campus.
More to come in 2018.
Early Deadline is October 2018.
Summer Application Deadline is March 8, 2019.