The International Student Office (ISO) determines F-1 international student admissions and assists admitted students with registration, academic advising, on-campus student employment, health enrollment and other college services.
This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.
All F-1 international students are encouraged to stop by and visit, exchange and share multicultural and life experiences with our diverse student community.
Services & Programs
- Academic and Immigration advising
- Class registration
- Health insurance enrollment
- Local housing resources
- Campus tours (available in several languages)
- Introduction to the World Explorer's Club
- Maricopa Global Leadership Retreat
- Study Abroad
- Students must be high school graduates or equivalent.
- Evidence of financial support.
- English proficiency.
All required documents must be submitted in their original official form, no scanned or copies will be accepted. Official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended must be mailed directly to GateWay Community College, Attention: Admissions and Records.
Transcripts must be translated into English and evaluated by an International Transcript Evaluation Service.
Proof of English language proficiency.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 500 paper, 173 computer, 61 internet based
- Test results must be mailed directly from the Educational Testing Services
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) score of 5.5/5
- Contact the U.S. Information Service at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate or Education USA Advising Center& for information on dates and locations of the TOEFL or IELTS examination in your country
- TOEFL testing centers and preparation information is available here at toeflgoanywhere.org
Students must complete all sections of the International Student Application, sign and submit in full to the GateWay ISO Coordinator of Student Services
GateWay has no provision for financial aid for international students. Students must come fully prepared to meet all financial obligations, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Tuition and fees
- Books and supplies
- Medical insurance
- Housing and living expenses
It is strongly recommended that all required paperwork be submitted at least 6 months in advance from the time you wish to begin attending GateWay. Suggested deadlines for classes beginning in January (spring semester) is the previous July 1. Suggested deadline for classes beginning in August (fall semester) is the previous December 1.
Frequently Asked Questions
We've compiled the following section of frequently asked questions to help answer many of the common inquiries we receive.
What are the requirements for admission to GateWay?
- You must be 18 years or older.
- You must complete the Admission Packet.
- You must be a graduate of what is equivalent to the 12th. grade in the U.S.
- You must have English Proficiency.
- You must provide sufficient financial support.
I'm an undergraduate student. What's my cost for the 1st year?
International students applying to study here must be able to prove that they have $20,290 U.S. dollars equivalent available for their first year of study. This is referred to as the evidence of financial support.
Your tuition and books cost for 1 year will be approximately $8,790.00 U.S. for 1 year.
Tuition is $317.00 U.S. dollars per credit hour. You must enroll in a minimum of 12 credits in the fall & spring semesters. We estimate your living expenses to be a minimum of $10,140 US dollars for one year.
Do you offer an I20 for English as a Second Language (ESL) Program of Study?
No, we do not have an ESL program study for international student on F1 visa.
What major areas of study are offered at GateWay?
Please see major areas of study listed on page four of the International Student Application Form.
Is there an application fee?
No. Applying to GateWay is free of charge.
Do I need to make a deposit for my tuition to the college before I arrive?
No. We do not accept deposits. You will pay your tuition/fees after you arrive and enroll for your classes.
What is the procedure once I receive the I-20?
When you are sent your acceptance letter from GateWay, along with the I-20, you will then contact the American Embassy/Consulate in your home country to make an appointment for your interview.
I have my F1 Visa, what's next?
- Make travel arrangements to come to Phoenix, Arizona.
- You are allowed to arrive in the US up to 30 days prior to your begin date (listed on I-20).
- It is highly recommended to arrive at least one week prior to your begin date.
Do you have housing or arrange housing?
No. GateWay is a commuter campus and we do not provide student housing. There are many apartment complexes within walking distance of the college as well as we are a main station for the light rail. Contact the International Student Office for further information on local housing resources. If you haven't already secured a place to stay by the time you arrive, we suggest you stay in a hotel close by.
What classes will I take?
Upon arrival, you must take our assessment test for course placement in English, Reading and Mathematics. This assessment will indicate the level of class in which you need to begin. You could be required to take developmental or pre-requisite courses before beginning your studies.
Why is health insurance important and why is it even needed?
International students are required to purchase the health insurance plan through our Maricopa County Community College District, as stated on your I-20.
Students with financial sponsorship provided by their government, which includes USA health insurance, maybe waived. For example students sponsored by Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission, or equivalent from other government agencies.
Do you offer an orientation session for International students?
Yes. All new F1 students are required to attend. We will review college policies, regulations, resources, in addition to immigration policies and regulations.
Fall and Spring
Monday - Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.