The primary role of Public Safety is to provide assistance and campus protection to students, employees and visitors. Other responsibilities include:
- Protecting district and personal property
- Providing assistance with disabled vehicles
- Managing lost and found property
- Identifying safety hazards
- Giving presentations about safety and crime prevention
Public Safety has established relationships with neighboring businesses and works closely with the Phoenix Police Department to ensure campus safety. Community members are encouraged to report all suspected crimes and unusual or suspicious activities and emergencies.
Security & Access to College Facilities
Identification cards are issued to enrolled students. Public Safety encourages students to carry these cards at all times while on campus. The identification card indicates that the bearer is a member of the student population.
GateWay students can go to Enrollment Services, located in the IE Building on the GateWay campus. Maricopa Skill Center students can go to Student Services at the MSC campus.
Reporting Crimes & Other Emergencies
Students, employees and others are encouraged to report any criminal activity or emergencies that occur on campus to Public Safety. In emergency situations,
Responding to Criminal Activity & Emergencies
- Public Safety or a Phoenix police officer will respond to each report of criminal activity.
- The Phoenix fire department will respond to reports of fire or medical emergencies.
- GateWay Public Safety responds administratively if any reported sexual assault or other criminal offense involves a student or employee as the alleged offender.
- Victims may submit a written, signed statement detailing an incident to the Dean of Student Services.
In the event of an evacuation, it is critical that all people exit the buildings in a safe and orderly manner. The signal to evacuate is normally given by fire alarm. During a natural/propane gas emergency, the signal will be given verbally. View the following links for more details:
Clery Act Crime Statistics
The Clery Act Crime Statistics information represents a general description of GateWay Community College’s security and safety policies and programs, and the crime statistics for the most recent calendar year and the two preceding calendar years.
Possession or use of firearms on campus is strictly forbidden.
Escorts are available to students, faculty and staff. Requests may be made to Public Safety by phone at (602) 286-8911.
Motor Vehicle Registration
All students and employees operating a motor vehicle on campus must register their vehicles with Public Safety. Upon issue, parking decals should be placed on the lower left side of the front windshield.