GateWay values the opportunity to educate our veterans and offers on campus veteran services, including:
- Academic advising
- Campus and community referrals
- Tuition deferments
- Academic scheduling
- Schedule adjustments
- Preliminary program planning
For complete information on Veterans and dependent benefits, visit the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service.
All persons using any type of Veterans Educational Assistance program are required to make satisfactory academic progress towards achievement of their program of study.
To receive educational assistance:
- Download the Veterans Services Request for Benefits
- Print and complete the form
- Return it to GateWay Veterans Services office
Maintaining VA Eligibility
- Students on academic probation who fail to raise their cumulative GPA to the required minimum standards will be certified for Veterans Educational Benefits. However please note that the Department of Veteran Affairs may find you ineligible for benefits until your GPA is raised to the required minimum standard.
- The VA will only pay for courses that lead to a standard degree or certificate
- The VA will pay for the following grades: A, B, C, D, F, P, Y (F and Y grades will only be paid up until the last date of attendance submitted by your instructor)
- The VA will not pay for the following grades: W (withdrawal), Z (no credit)
- I (incomplete) grades will not be reported to the VA if completed within 1 year and a payable grade is assigned
- If an "I" grade is not changed within 1 year, it will be reported to VA and they will not pay
Veterans' benefits are not paid for courses in which students have already earned a satisfactory grade unless the college catalog states that a higher grade is necessary.
Benefit Levels for Fall & Spring Semesters
Standard spring and fall terms are 16 weeks.
- Full Time = 12 credits
- 3/4 Time = 9 credits
- 1/2 Time = 6 credits
Please use caution when registering for courses that are not 16 weeks. The VA will pay those courses according to the start and end dates listed in the class schedule. Open entry/open exit courses may effect the way the VA pays.
If GateWay is your primary institution, you must obtain official transcripts from every college attended and submit to the Admissions and Records Office by the end of your second semester.
Other requirements include notifying the Veterans Services Office of any of the following:
- Change in address or phone number
- Changes in enrollment status, including drop/add courses
- Changes in your program of study
- Must request a Form 315 (Parent School Letter) if you are planning to attend a supplemental school
General Veterans Information
GateWay Community College was recently selected again as a Military Friendly School for 2013. We are dedicated to providing military veterans with a quality education. Explore the links below to find more information about school for current or past military members.
- Service Members Opportunities Colleges:
information for military members who may have trouble gaining college credit because of frequent moves.
- Financial Aid information for service members and veterans.
- Information about the GI Bill.
- Information about education opportunities for Military Spouses.
- VA GI Bill Feedback System
Military Transcript Requests
Learn more about joining the Veterans Club on campus.
Fall and Spring
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday: 8 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Saturday - Sunday: Closed
May 16 - August 7
Monday - Thursday: 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Friday - Sunday: Closed
Holidays - Closed for 2016
Jan 18 - MLK Day
Feb 25 - President's Day
March 14-20 - Spring Break
May 30 - Memorial Day
July 4 - Independence Day
Sept. 5 - Labor Day
Nov. 11 - Veterans Day
Nov. 24-27 - Thanksgiving Holiday
Dec. 23 (noon) - Jan. 2, 2017 - Winter Break
The VA Phoenix Office:
1 (800) 827-1000
The VA Regional Office:
1 (888) 442-4551
East Valley Veterans Education Center:
Carl T. Hayden VAMC, PHX:
Phoenix Patient Representative:
(602) 277-5551 ext. 7394
VFW Healthcare Hotline:
1 (800) 839-1899
Agent Orange Helpline:
1 (800) 749-8387
AZ Coordinator for Agent Orange, Persian Gulf, Ionizing Radiation: Mr. Pete Melendez, Carl T. Hayden VAMC;
(602) 277-5551, ext. 6749