Start Your Bachelor's Degree at GateWay Community College
Take advantage of quality instructors, lower tuition, small class sizes and university credit transfer. Starting your bachelor's degree at GateWay saves you money and makes sense! Explore some of our transfer pathways below.
The Arizona General Education Curriculum (AGEC) is designed for students planning to transfer to one of Arizona's three state universities (Arizona State University, University of Arizona, or Northern Arizona University) consisting of a block of 35 required credits that satisfy general curriculum requirements. These credits may be applied to the graduation requirements for many university majors.
MCCCD Policies for Transfer
Transcripts for Transfer
AGEC Concentration Options
Depending on your major, you will complete one of three AGEC blocks.
- AGEC - A is for students who want to study liberal arts when they transfer to the university. Examples: English, History, Religion, Philosophy, Communications
- AGEC - B is for students who want to study business when they transfer to the university. Examples: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Marketing
- AGEC - S is for students who want to study programs that require more rigorous math and science when they transfer to the university. Examples: Biology, Chemistry, Engineering
Use the Course Equivalency Guide from the AZ Course Applicability System to determine the exact transferability of courses offered.
Associate Degrees for Transfer
GateWay offers AA, AS and ABus degrees that transfer in full to Arizona's public universities.
- Associate in Arts (AA)
- Associate in Science (AS)
- Associate in Business (ABus)
The appropriate AGEC transfer block is built into these degrees. The AA, AS and ABus degrees generally provide the core classes needed to obtain a bachelor's degree.
Associate in General Studies (AGS)
The AGS degree is designed for students with flexible goals in education. Most credits are transferable and we strongly recommend consulting with an advisor about the specifics of transferability in:
- Family & Human Development
- International/Inter-cultural Studies
- Political Science
- Religious Studies
- Women's Studies
Associate in Business (ABus)
This degree is designed for Business Majors planning to transfer to ASU, NAU or the U of A. An Associate in Business General Requirements (ABus GR) requires 62-63 semester credits for the program of study.
This degree transfers as a block without loss of credit to AZ public universities. All semester credits used to satisfy the ABus GR will apply to university graduation requirements of the university major.
Special requirements apply for students planning to become Accounting or CIS Majors. See an advisor for details.
Transfer Fairs are held every Fall semester (October) and Spring semester (March). The Fairs are held from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Amphitheater at the college's Washington Campus. Approximately 20 different colleges and universities participate in the fair. Both in-state and out-of-state representatives attend. Students have the opportunity to discuss the application process, scholarships, housing and more! Most of the universities attending have transfer articulation agreements with the Maricopa Community Colleges.
Transfer Days are for students who want to experience a day of tours, transfer requirements, student testimonials, campus life and more on the university’s campus. Below are links to select universities's Transfer Days:
Reverse Transfer Program
The Reverse Transfer initiative is a collaborative effort between Maricopa Community Colleges and Arizona’s major universities. Students who transfer early (without completing their associate degree) to a participating Arizona university from one of the Maricopa Community Colleges are given the opportunity to combine community college and university credits to determine if missing associate degree requirements have been met. Learn more at Maricopa.edu/reverse-transfer
Prior Learning Assessment
Maricopa Community Colleges is committed to the idea that people deserve credit for college-level learning that was done prior to attending Maricopa Community Colleges, no matter how it was acquired. If this learning is at the college-level and is verifiable, it can be evaluated for possible transfer credit. We refer to this evaluation as Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Please refer to our Transfer Credit Policy for additional information (A.R. 2.2.4).
GateWay Community College: ALL-USA Academic Team Scholarship:
- Eligibility: 3.5 GPA AND completed 36 semester (or 48 quarter) college-level credits by December 31, 2018 and 48 semester (or 72 quarter) college-level credits by August 30, 2019. Deadline: mid-October 2018. Two years of full-time tuition for ASU, NAU and UofA. Additional scholarships can be earned based off this application.
- PTK Scholarship or contact Dr. Joseph Swaba
- Arizona State University Transfer Scholarships
- Grand Canyon University Transfer Scholarship
- Northern Arizona University Transfer Scholarships
- University of Arizona Transfer Scholarships
There are many universities and scholarships to choose from, and each has its own unique set of guidelines. If a recommendation letter is required for admission or a scholarship application then it is important to read the following helpful tips on the etiquette of requesting a recommendation letter. Remember, a great recommendation letter can serve as a powerful testament to what you as a student have accomplished in your past and future achievements. Recommendation letter guidance follows:
Whom should I ask?
- Choose a faculty member who knows you well!
- No family members or friends.
What is needed?
- Give your reference at least three weeks to write the letter.
- When requesting a recommendation letter, send it in an email with the information you need.
- Add description/information about the school/scholarship you are applying for including deadlines.
- Provide information about yourself (i.e., career interests, resume, projects, transcripts, etc.).
- Ask for an email confirmation from the reference when they have sent it.
University Transfer Reps & Resources
Beyond Transfer Pathways with Arizona’s public universities, Maricopa Community Colleges has well-established partnerships with more than 40 institutions within and outside the state. Private and out-of-state transfer partners include Grand Canyon University, Prescott College, Columbia College Chicago, and Western New Mexico University, to name a few. Please visit the links below for guidance and a full list of Transfer Partners.
Frequently Asked Questions
General Studies Course Equivalency Guide
Summer 2018 Transfer Guide
NAU Jack's Path
Grand Canyon University Assistance
You are now able to request a single transcript report no matter how many Maricopa Community Colleges you have attended. Rather than having to request transcripts from each institution you attended, you are now able to place the request for official or unofficial transcripts from one place. For more information, visit http://www.gatewaycc.edu/transcripts.