Academic advising is more than selecting courses for an upcoming semester or making a plan to graduate. Students should initiate and maintain contact with advisors to discuss situations and issues affecting academic performance, including:
- Academic and occupational programs
- Exploration of educational and life goals
- Information on campus resources and services
- Selection and sequencing of courses
- University transfer options
- Work and family commitments
Advisors will listen and respond to personal interests and concerns, suggest useful college resources, know college and departmental policies and procedures, make appropriate referrals for student support services and provide guidance and assistance with academic, career and life goals.
In order to see an advisor you must have completed the Student Information Form.
Areas of Advisement at Washington Campus
GateWay offers academic advisement in the following program areas:
- Automotive, Environment & Industrial Technology
- Business & Information Technology
- Healthcare & Nursing
- University Transfer
Advisors provide assistance in helping students choose an academic pathway that's the right fit for their schedules and career goals.
Advising Schedule at Washington Campus (starts Sept. 6, 2016)
- Monday - Walk-ins, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday - Appointments, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Wednesday - Walk-ins until 2 p.m.; closed 2 to 6 p.m.
- Thursday - Walk-ins, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday - Appointments, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Schedule an Appointment
Call: (602) 286-8600
Clock Hour Programs
Central City Campus
Call: (602) 238-4350
Deer Valley Campus
Call: (602) 392-5000
Checksheets are tools used between students and advisors in order to outline courses needed for a particular program of study and help promote success. View the list of Advisement Check Sheets offered by the Maricopa Community Colleges for more details.
Advising Tools in Your Student Center
It is now easier than ever to keep track of your education plan and check the progress of your degree online in your Student Center at my.maricopa.edu. All of these tools can be found by clicking the “Other Academic” drop-down list in your Student Center.
New to College?
Take advantage of our various support services that offer a competitive edge on starting a successful college career.