Accounting or bookkeeping is a business process involving the documentation of financial transactions.
Accounting responsibilities vary depending upon company size and structure. Examples include:
- Monitoring detailed account transactions
- Compiling and interpreting numerical data for reports
- Updating accounts and files for accuracy and information
- Recording and analyzing financial data
- Specializing in taxes, consulting, budgeting, auditing or forensic accounting
Accountants are employed by large corporations, small businesses, trade establishments, manufacturing firms, banks, real estate agencies, government agencies and accounting firms.
Free Tax Preparation
GateWay Community College-Washington Campus, in partnership with the City of Phoenix, will be a VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) site for tax preparation for those who qualify. Accounting students will provide tax preparation assistance, free of charge to those that qualify. Visit MA2129, from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., on Fridays, from Feb. 1 through April 12 (closed on March 15 & 22). Call (602) 286-8945 for information. Visit this article for more sites and participant qualification information.
Certified Public Accountants (CPA's)
Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting and completing additional requirements gives accountants the opportunity to sit for the CPA licensure exam. CPA's work in the public or private sector and many are self-employed. For more information, see the AZ State Board of Accountancy criteria.
Bookkeeping, Accounting, and Auditing Clerks**
Certificate of Completion in Accounting: $2,281*
Associate of Applied Science in Accounting: $5,860*
Visit O*NET OnLine for median salary.
* Please note that these are only estimates and may not include books. These estimates may change based on increases to tuition, course fees and book costs. Estimates are based on the 2016-2017 tuition rates for in-county students. Additional fees may apply.
** For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, as well as wage and employment trend information.