GateWay Community College has the only community college-based Safe Patient Handling Education (SaPHE) Lab in the Southwest for use by students attending various Allied Health and Nursing programs.
In this space, our Nursing and Allied Health students practice assisting and moving patients in ways that keep both themselves and their future patients safer. While performing simulated scenarios students use state-of-the-art equipment (Arjo, Liko, Handicare, Wy’East and HoverTech) to safely move patients in hospital rooms, to and from diagnostic areas, in rehabilitation or even in the surgical suite. Safe Patient Handling and Mobility techniques have been shown to:
- Reduce caregiver injuries
- Improve care of patients of size
- Reduce patient injuries
- Improve patient outcomes
- Reduce costs to the employer
- Improve job satisfaction
- Improve interdisciplinary approaches to patient care
By incorporating the lab into Allied Health and Nursing programs, graduates are better prepared for the physical challenges of today’s changing healthcare environment.
The SaPHE Lab is available for rent to help meet your training needs.
Licensed instructors and customized training programs available. Incorporating Safe Patient Handling and Mobility uses technology to move patients safely and reduces risk of employee injury. Benefits include: Increased Employee Retention, Lower Worker Comp Costs, Improved Patient Care.
What trainings we can offer:
- Safe Patient Handling New Employee Orientation: Customize training programs in SPH techniques and equipment based on facility-specific policy education.
- Return to Work Safety: Integrate SPH training for return to work strategies for employees who have been injured at work or have lifting restrictions.
- Safe Patient Handling Champion: Implement a culture of safe patient handling at your facility! Learn in-depth patient population and equipment-specific techniques to prepare them to teach peer-to-peer and lead the changes toward improved safety in your facility.
- Rent the SaPHE Lab: GateWay Community College has the only community college-based Safe Patient Handling Education (SaPHE) Lab in the Southwest.
108 North 40th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85034
555 North 18th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85006