The Disability Resources and Services (DRS) Department endeavors to empower all students, advance their independence and develop a sense of self-advocacy. We strive to create a learning environment which assists students in reaching their full potential with reasonable accommodations.
About Disability Resources
The Americans with Disabilities Act requires institutions of higher education to provide reasonable accommodations to those with documented disabilities, provided an undue hardship is not created.
An undue hardship refers to any accommodation that would be unduly costly, expensive, substantial, disruptive, or that would fundamentally alter the nature of the business or program.
A reasonable accommodation is the provision of an auxiliary aid, or modification to the course or program, that will allow access to the educational program, material, activity, or degree. Examples include:
- Making existing facilities readily accessible to, and usable by, persons with disabilities.
- Alternative testing accommodations.
- Provision of qualified readers, note takers and sign language interpreters.
- Provision of alternative print formats.
It is the responsibility of the student to inform the institution of his or her need for accommodations.
Disability Resources & Services
New to GWCC?
After you have been admitted as a student at GateWay Community College, your first step in applying for disability services is to complete the online New Student Application. Click on the DRS Connect icon on the left side of this page to complete the application. Please provide a phone number that you can be reached at and your Maricopa student email. You will need to check your Maricopa student email on a regular basis when completing this application.
You must provide disability documentation to DRS. Learn more about the MCCCD policy regarding disability documentation.
Disability documentation may be provided to the DRS Office in several ways:
· Upload disability documentation at the end of the DRS Connect application online.
· Email disability documentation to disability.services@gatewaycc.
· Bring in person to the GateWay Washington Campus IE Bldg. Room IE 1202 First Floor.
The DRS Manager or a DRS Advisor may recommend services if you qualify under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and/or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.
· Note takers.
· Alternative format textbooks
· Testing accommodations.