Use this Reference Guide to help adjust your study habits to an online and remote learning environments.
8 Tips for Online Success
Online, remote and hybrid classes are designed for your needs. If you work during the day or have a more complex schedule, you can complete your classes online. Classes are available in most fields of interest.
Do you need a challenge? Online classes are definitely more challenging than traditional classes as time management is key to your success.
Do you need extra support? Personal communication is very important, even more so in an online course. Please email your teacher or utilize the online free tutoring (Brainfuse), call the Learning Center at (602) 286-8800 to speak to a tutor, or call the HelpDesk (602-286-8411, Ext. 2) still available in online courses. You don’t have to sacrifice your life to get an education; learn more about online now!
Online students will be using Canvas, our Learning Management System (LMS). Canvas allows online students access to course content, calendar, grade book, discussion boards, online quizzes, and other course materials. Current students can log in below or at learn.maricopa.edu by entering their MEID and password.
What Students are Saying
You can choose from a wide variety of online classes. As long as you complete your assignments on time, you can do your classwork whenever your schedule allows. We want to offer you all the online classes and support you need to reach your goals.
- Over 200 online classes to choose from
- Online tools and support are available
Busy schedule? Our online classes could give you the flexibility you need. Use our online assessment survey, view the orientation video and learn what you need to do to be successful.
- Within class schedules, complete work on your time
- Ideal for those with daytime commitments
- Accommodates students with changing schedules
- Good time management is critical
Gateway offers you an affordable alternative to large universities while also delivering great value. With our highly qualified faculty and small classes, instructors are able to get involved and enrich your learning experience.
- Discover the advantages of our supportive faculty
- Student interaction promotes collaborative learning
- Online and on-campus classes are designed by the same instructor
- GateWay is fully accredited, which ensures students can transfer credits and obtain financial aid
- eLearning classes are as challenging as traditional classes
As a GateWay student, you will have a lot of support. We have a full-time Helpdesk to assist you as well as a variety of tools you can use. The library and learning center will also help you to find what you need, including access to tutoring.
- Learn to use the library resources
- Consider in-person and online tutoring
- Consider our online writing center
- Getting Internet Service
- Use Canvas and other GateWay tools. Log in to your online courses in Canvas using your MEID and password. Check out this Canvas Support for instructions.
- Navigation of your Canvas Course
- Using Google Hangouts Meet for live remote instruction.
- Using WebEx for live remote instruction
- Disability Services assistance Counseling assistance
Getting involved helps you achieve more.
Online (internet)* courses are conducted online via a course management system (currently Canvas). Students will interact with classmates and the instructor remotely via online discussion boards, assignments, group projects within a predetermined schedule. Online courses may require proctored exams at the discretion of the instructor. Access to a reliable up-to-date computer and internet connection are required for these courses.
Hybrid courses are a combination of traditional onsite and online instruction. Students and instructors will meet face-to-face in a classroom/lab setting for a portion of the required time as well as asynchronously online for the remaining instructional time. Specific percentages of online and face-to-face instruction are determined by individual classes but must equal 100% of the required credit hour equivalent. Courses will utilize a course management system (currently Canvas) and other technologically based components. Access to a reliable up-to-date computer and internet connection are required for these courses.
In Person (Face-To-Face ) courses utilize the traditional method of classroom instruction with the class meeting at a specified day, time, and location. Web-enhanced courses are traditional face-to-face classes and are enhanced with various technology and online components. Online activities vary based on instructor and course requirements. These courses are not denoted on the Gateway schedule; however, the use of a course management system (e.g., Canvas, Publisher Content) will be included in the course syllabus.
Remote learning is a combination of emails, WebEx/Hangout Meeting/Zoom, use of Canvas and other various resources pulled together. Students and instructors will hold remote classroom/lab sessions for a portion of the required time as well as asynchronously online for the remaining instructional time. Access to a reliable up-to-date computer and internet connection are required for this learning environment.
Are you ready for online classes or remote learning?
Take this survey to determine if you are better suited to learn on campus or online class readiness survey.
To help you succeed in an online course, make sure you possess the following:
- Access to an up-to-date computer and high-speed internet
- Self-motivated and disciplined (commit to 6-9 hours a week per three-credit-hour class)
- Comfortable and confident with the written expression as it pertains to online course discussion, i.e. giving and receiving peer feedback
Be patient for feedback from instructors (especially over a weekend; check instructor's syllabus for turn-around time, etc.)