Veterans Services

GateWay values the opportunity to educate our veterans and offers on campus veteran services, including:

  • Academic advising
  • Academic scheduling
  • Campus and community referrals
  • Preliminary program planning
  • Schedule adjustments
  • Tuition deferments
  • Veteran Center

For complete information on Veterans and dependent benefits, visit the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs Education Service. Or stop in the Veteran Center in MA1220 for assistance. 


Veteran Services staff will be available remotely through 4/6/2020. We can assist and serve you via phone, email, or video conference Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

Please visit "Veterans’ GI Bill benefits to continue during COVID-19 pandemic.


Eligibility Requirements

All persons using any type of Veterans Educational Assistance program are required to make satisfactory academic progress toward achievement of their program of study.

To receive educational assistance:

  1. Visit and download the Veterans Services Request for Benefits
  2. Print and complete the form
  3. Return it to GateWay Veterans Services office

Maintaining VA Eligibility

  • Students on academic probation who fail to raise their cumulative GPA to the required minimum standards will be certified for Veterans Educational Benefits. However please note that the Department of Veteran Affairs may find you ineligible for benefits until your GPA is raised to the required minimum standard. 
  • The VA will only pay for courses that lead to a standard degree or certificate
  • The VA will pay for the following grades: A, B, C, D, F, P, Y (F and Y grades will only be paid up until the last date of attendance submitted by your instructor)
  • The VA will not pay for the following grades: W (withdrawal), Z (no credit)
  • I (incomplete) grades will not be reported to the VA if completed within 1 year and a payable grade is assigned
  • If an "I" grade is not changed within 1 year, it will be reported to VA and they will not pay

Veterans' benefits are not paid for courses in which students have already earned a satisfactory grade unless the college catalog states that a higher grade is necessary.

Benefit Levels for Fall & Spring Semesters

Standard spring and fall terms are 16 weeks.

  • Full Time = 12 credits
  • 3/4 Time = 9 credits
  • 1/2 Time = 6 credits

Please use caution when registering for courses that are not 16 weeks. The VA will pay those courses according to the start and end dates listed in the class schedule. Open entry/open exit courses may effect the way the VA pays.


If GateWay is your primary institution, you must obtain official transcripts from every college attended and submit to the Admissions and Records Office by the end of your second semester.

Other requirements include notifying the Veterans Services Office of any of the following:

  • Change in address or phone number
  • Changes in enrollment status, including drop/add courses
  • Changes in your program of study
  • Must request a Form 315 (Parent School Letter) if you are planning to attend a supplemental school

General Veterans Information

GateWay Community College was recently selected again as a Military Friendly School for 2013. We are dedicated to providing military veterans with a quality education. Explore the links below to find more information about school for current or past military members.              

Military Transcript Requests

Veterans Club

Learn more about joining the Veterans Club on campus.

Info to come