The Certificate of Competency (CCT) in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Plate & Pipe prepares students to complete industry certification on carbon steel plate and pipe. An AAS in Welding as well as certificates in the following areas of specialization are also available: Welding: Gas Metal / Flux Cored Arc Welding (GMAW)/(FCAW), Welding: Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) Ferrous, Welding: Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) Non-Ferrous
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Adhere to industry safety regulations applicable to welding environments.
- Demonstrate proficient use of machines, tools and equipment in the welding environment.
- Using appropriate welding and cutting processes and procedures, prepare various types of weld joints per industry standards.
- Using appropriate welding and cutting processes and procedures, perform various types of welds on industry standard joint types in all positions.
- Describe quality control standards and practices applied in welding inspection in the welding industry.
- Interpret technical drawings common to welding.
- Use mathematical skills to solve basic welding problems.
- Solve basic welding problems applying a fundamental understanding of the physical, mechanical and chemical properties of materials.
- Demonstrate quality workmanship in a timely manner.
- Demonstrate professional knowledge and personal accountability.
- Effectively communicate verbally, non-verbally and in writing in various workplace environments.
- Identify the challenges and employment opportunities within the field of welding.
- Identify opportunities to expand knowledge, skills, and abilities within the field of welding.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Welders, Cutters, and Welder Fitters
The following is the suggested course sequence by block. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with a navigator to discuss their academic and career goals.
- The course sequence is laid out by block and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- This is a cohort program in which students progress through their course of study together in the required course sequence.
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|WTO106AA||Introduction to SMAW||Critical course||141|
|CST103||Foundations of Construction Safety||First 4.5 days||13|
|CST104||Hand and Power Tools, Equipment, and Workspace||Second 7 days||20|
|CST105||Construction Calculations||Third 7 days||20|
|CST107||Construction Drawings Introduction||Last 4.5 days||13|
|WTO106AB||SMAW 6010 Plate||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in WTO106AA or permission of Instructor.||141|
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|WTO106AD||SMAW Introduction to Pipe||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in WTO106AA or permission of Instructor.||141|
|WTO208AD||SMAW Code Welding Pipe||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in WTO106AD or WTO208AA or permission of Instructor.||141|
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of ‘P’ or ‘C’ or better (depending on the course grading scale) for all courses required within the program.
Weekly hour requirements vary by program. Students should meet with a navigator to discuss these requirements further. Actual completion times may vary. A separate $15 Registration Fee will be charged per academic year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Competency in Welding: Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) Pipe (Day) (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm12?id=153491).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2020-2021||5/26/2020 – 5/24/2021|