The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Beauty and Wellness promotes progressive thinking, skills, and experiences to enhance personal growth and professional success. This interdisciplinary AAS is designed to provide students with business and financial acumen, effective and collaborative communication skills, critical thinking techniques, and leadership qualities to be empowered professionals. Students who complete this AAS have fundamental strategies to effectively and successfully implement innovative principles in the beauty industry to serve consumers. The Associate in Applied Science (AAS) in Beauty and Wellness may transfer to a Bachelor of Applied Science (BAS) program for students who want to pursue a bachelor's degree.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, beliefs, and core values for ongoing personal and professional growth.
- Apply advanced effective communication skills (including written and spoken word, nonverbal language, and active listening) to develop relationships, manage conflicts, and work towards positive outcomes with diverse populations.
- Synthesize information during the decision making process to guide action to produce intentional outcomes for self and consumers.
- Apply effective marketing strategies utilizing various media channels.
- Employ financial concepts for personal and business growth.
- Appraise overall workplace wellness, and health and safety standards for effective and continual improvement to create a positive consumer experience.
Successful completion of this degree may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this degree. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Hairdressers, Hairstylists, and Cosmetologists
Manicurists and Pedicurists
Entry into this program requires a current, active aesthetician, cosmetology, hairstyling, or instructor license. All licenses must be in good standing.
Credits for prior learning will be awarded for equivalent Beauty and Wellness (BAW) prefix courses based on licensure.
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
- Consult with your faculty mentor or academic advisor to determine educational requirements, including possible university transfer options, for your chosen career field.
Term 1 Term 1 Term 1
Term 2 Term 2 Term 2
Term 3 Term 3
Term 1 Term 1 Term 1
Term 2 Term 2 Term 2
Term 3 Term 3 Term 3
Term 4 Term 4 Term 4
Term 5 Term 5 Term 5
Term 6 Term 6
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of C or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Associate in Applied Science in Beauty and Wellness (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm3?id=164039).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. Other versions of this pathway map from different catalog years are available below:
|Catalog Year||Effective Dates|
|2020-2021||5/26/2020 – 5/24/2021|