The Certificate of Completion (CCL) in Magnetic Resonance Imaging program offers graduate radiologic technologists, radiation therapists, nuclear medicine technologists, and diagnostic medical sonographers the opportunity to complete both didactic coursework and clinical skills experience necessary to prepare to meet eligibility for the professional certification in this field. The program focuses on specific skills and knowledge necessary to become proficient in this field.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Apply magnetic resonance imaging safety in the clinical setting.
- Interpret orders for diagnostic imaging procedures.
- Demonstrate effective communication in a healthcare setting.
- Apply knowledge and learning to the professional development in the field of magnetic resonance imaging.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technologists
1. Certified by American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) in Radiography or in Radiation Therapy, OR Certified by ARRT or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB) in Nuclear Medicine, OR Certified by American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) or ARRT in Diagnostic Medical Sonography.
2. Formal admission to the program by the Program Coordinator is required. Prerequisite courses must be completed before students are eligible to apply to the program.
3. Background Check Requirements: Admission to an Allied Health program requires that students be in compliance with the Maricopa County Community College District Background Check standards. Upon conditional program enrollment, the student must comply with all requirements of the MCCCD background check policy.
4. Clinical Health and Safety requirements must be met. Upon conditional program enrollment, the student must comply with all requirements of the MCCCD clinical health and safety policy.
5. Inability to comply with Background Check requirements and/or Clinical Health and Safety requirements at the start of classes may result in cancellation of enrollment.
The following is the suggested course sequence by term. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with an academic advisor to develop an individual education plan that meets their academic and career goals. Use the Pathway Planner tool in your Student Center to manage your plan.
- The course sequence is laid out by suggested term and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- Initial course placement is determined by current district placement measures and/or completion of 100-200 level course and/or program requirements.
- Degree and transfer seeking students may be required to successfully complete a MCCCD First Year Experience Course (FYE) within the first two semesters at a MCCCD College. Courses include AAA/CPD150, AAA/CPD150AC, CPD104, and AAA115/CPD115. Course offerings will vary by college. See an academic, program, or faculty advisor for details.
Full-time status is 12 credits to 18 credits per semester.
|DMI/ICE233||Fundamentals of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)||Prerequisites: (Certified by American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) in Radiography or in Radiation Therapy), or (certified by ARRT or the Nuclear Medicine Technology Certification Board (NMTCB) in Nuclear Medicine), or (certified by American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) or ARRT in Diagnostic Medical Sonography), or (Radiography, Radiation Therapist, Nuclear Medicine or Sonography student currently enrolled at GateWay), or registry eligible graduate. Corequisites: DMI/DMS/ICE220 or permission of Department or Division.||Critical course Gateway course||1|
|DMI/DMS/ICE220 or |
|Sectional Anatomy or Sectional Anatomy for Nuclear Medicine||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in (BIO160 or BIO201) and (HCC145 or HCC146), or a graduate of a related medical program of study or currently registered as a technologist in radiography, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy or sonography OR Admission to the Medical Radiography Program or permission of Instructor. or Prerequisites: Admission to Nuclear Medicine Technology program or permission of Program Director.||3|
|ICE229||Magnetic Resonance (MR) Multi-Planar Sectional Anatomy||Prerequisites: ARRT in Rdiogrphy/Rdation Thrpy or ARRT/NMTCB in Nuclr Med. or ARRT/ARDMS in Diag. Med. Sonography or Rdiogrphy, Rdation Thrpst, Nuclr Med., or Songrphy student, or rgstry eligible grad, & a grade of C or better in DMI/DMS/ICE220 & ICE233.||2|
|ICE254||Advanced Imaging Practicum||Prerequisites: [(Certified ARRT in Radiography/Radiation Therapy) or (ARRT/NMTCB cert in Nuclear Medicine) or (Radiography/Nuclear Medicine student) or eligible grad] or permission of Instructor.||1|
|ICE264||MRI Physics, Instrumentation and Safety||Prerequisites: ARRT in Rdiogrphy/Rdation Thrpy or ARRT/NMTCB in Nuclr Med. or ARRT/ARDMS in Diag. Med. Sonography or Rdiogrphy, Rdation Thrpst, Nuclr Med., or Songrphy student, or rgstry eligible grad, & a grade of C or better in DMI/DMS/ICE220 & ICE233.||3|
|ICE268||MRI Advanced Imaging Practicum||Prerequisites: Currently enrolled in the Magnetic Resonance Imaging Program.||2|
|ICE269||Magnetic Resonance Procedure Protocols||Prerequisites: ARRT in Radiography or in Radiation Therapy, or ARRT or NMTCB in Nuclear Medicine, or ARDMS or (RT or NM student), or registry eligible graduate and ICE233 and ICE264 with a grade of "C" or higher, or permission of Instructor.||3|
|ICE272||Magnetic Resonance Pathology||Prerequisites: ARRT in Radiography or in Radiation Therapy, or ARRT or NMTCB in Nuclear Medicine, or ARDMS or (RT or NM student), or registry eligible graduate and ICE233 and ICE229 with a grade of "C" or higher, or permission of Instructor.||3|
|ICE292||MRI Board Exam Review Preparation||Prerequisites: A grade of C or better in DMI/DMS/ICE220, ICE229, ICE233, ICE264, ICE269, and ICE272. Corequisites: ICE254.||1|
Gateway Course = Generally the first major-specific course in a pathway.
Critical Course = A course that is highly predictive of future success in a pathway.
Students must earn a grade of "C" or better for all courses required within the program.
Course Sequence total credits may differ from the program information located on the MCCCD curriculum website due to program and system design.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Completion in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm?id=143563).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.