Medical Billing and Coding: Physician Based (Day)
The Certificate of Competency (CCT) in Medical Billing and Coding: Physician-Based program is designed to prepare individuals for entry-level medical billing and coding positions in ambulatory care treatment centers such as clinics, physician practices, managed care organizations, private billing services, and insurance companies.
Students must earn a grade of C or better in all courses within the program.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior, and cultural competency skills according to ambulatory care professional practice standards.
- Apply critical thinking skills to decision-making processes in accordance with ambulatory care standards and best practices.
- Apply legal and ethical concepts and principles applicable to ambulatory care setting regulations and guidelines.
- Use health information technologies commonly used in ambulatory care settings.
- Apply anatomy and physiology, pathophysiology, pharmacology, and medical terminology concepts in the ambulatory care coding function.
- Apply clinical nomenclatures, vocabularies, classification systems, revenue cycle management processes, and coding compliance concepts according to ambulatory care standards.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
Health Information Technologists and Medical Registrars
Medical Records Specialists
Course Sequence by Term
The following is the suggested course sequence by block. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with a navigator to discuss their academic and career goals.
- The course sequence is laid out by block and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- This is a cohort program in which students progress through their course of study together in the required course sequence.
Block 1 Block 1
Block 2 Block 2
Students must earn a grade of ‘P’ or ‘C’ or better (depending on the course grading scale) for all courses required within the program.
Weekly hour requirements vary by program. Students should meet with a navigator to discuss these requirements further. Actual completion times may vary. A separate $15 Registration Fee will be charged per academic year.
View MCCCD’s official curriculum documentation for additional details regarding the requirements of this award (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm12?id=181924).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.