Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs) are an integral part of the healthcare team and are employed in a variety of different work settings such as hospitals, clinics, homes, extended care facilities, and nursing homes. LPNs work under the direct supervision of registered nurses and/or physician. They perform many duties such as assisting patients with activities of daily living, taking vital signs, observing patients, dressing wounds, and administering medication. Individuals interested in becoming a licensed practical nurse should have a sincere interest in caring for people, display professional behaviors and possess sound judgment as it will be their responsibility to provide basic bedside care for patients who may be experiencing substantial alterations in health.
The Fast Track Practical Nursing Program is a terminal practical nurse program for college credit. The design of the curriculum permits an economical and efficient method of education to prepare the graduate to sit for the practical nurse licensing exam. GateWay Community College (GWCC) awards the certificate of completion for the Nurse Assisting and Practical Nursing Programs in addition to the Associate of Applied Science in Nursing degree. The Fast Track Practical Nursing Program is a separate program in relationship to the Maricopa Nursing Program. Applicants may enter the Fast Track Practical Nursing Program after completing the required prerequisites.
The Fast Track Practical Nursing Program provides students with the theory and skills required to practice as a practical nurse in acute care, extended care, and intermediate care settings. The program of study combines nursing theory with planned patient care learning experiences in hospitals, nursing homes and healthcare agencies. Various teaching strategies are used throughout the program of study. Lecture, role play, online case studies, and simulation are a few of the teaching methods students will be engaged in during the program. It is important to note that technology is used extensively during the program. It is strongly recommended that students have access to a personal computer; however, computers for student use on campus are available through the college computer commons.
Graduates are eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-PN) to become a licensed practical nurse (LPN). Licensing requirements are the exclusive responsibility of the Arizona State Board of Nursing according to Title 32, Chapter 15 of the Arizona Revised Statues.
Following are the Fast Track Practical Nursing Program competencies:
- Function effectively in the role of the beginning Practical Nurse under the direction of a Registered Nurse
- Demonstrate critical thinking skills and evidence based practice through utilization of the nursing process as a guideline in providing nursing care
- Assist with data collection and contribute to the established plan of care
- Implement an established plan of care using appropriate practical nursing knowledge
- Assist with the evaluation of nursing care based on established outcome criteria
- Apply therapeutic communication techniques in providing basic nursing care for clients throughout the lifespan
- Perform technical aspects of basic, safe nursing care
- Demonstrate identified caring behaviors
- Function in accordance with the ethical and legal standards of practical nursing practice
- Illustrate use of relevant technology for client care and documentation
Take advantage of these "Nursing School Success Stories" workshops in Fall 2019.
All students interested in any of our Nursing programs will be required to attend an Information/Advising session, which will provide in-depth information and enrollment guidance. An application and student ID (MEID) must be created prior to the Information Session. Only students who attend a session may meet with a Nursing program advisor one on one.
Virtual Information Sessions
Wednesday, July 28, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, August 11, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, August 25, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, September 8, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, September 22, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, October 6, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, October 20, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, November 3, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, November 17, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, December 1, 3 p.m.
Wednesday, December 15, 3 p.m.
Join Google Meet
Certificate of Completion in Fast Track Practical Nursing: $3,792*
* Please note that these are only estimates and do not include books. These estimates may change based on increases to tuition, course fees and book costs. Estimates are based on tuition rates for in-county students. Additional fees may apply.
Day and Evening Cohort: For all options, student schedules must be flexible to accommodate the required days and hours of the clinical rotations at health care agencies. Clinical experiences may include day, evening, weekends, and may include 8, 10, and/or 12- hour shifts. There is also the possibility of overnight rotations for those who commonly work night shift.
1. Day Option - Classes are offered primarily during daytime hours. Admission to the program occurs in the fall and spring semesters. If admitted to the spring day cohort, semester 2 of the program occurs during the summer semester. The semesters have the same hours and class and clinical commitments as any other semester, however the second semester occurs in the summer.
January – August
August – May
2. Evening Option - Classes in the evenings generally begin after 5:00 p.m. and clinical lab, simulation and assignments commonly include a Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday. Every effort is made to schedule experiences on weekends, however clinical schedules are not guaranteed and weekday clinicals may be required.
Approximately 40% of the evening cohort is delivered in the virtual environment. Students are required to virtually attend live synchronous lectures, complete online asynchronous modules, and attend in person as scheduled.
January – December
August – May
Degrees & Certificates
Accreditation is a process used to measure and certify the credibility and quality of services offered by an organization.
The GateWay Fast Track Practical Nursing Program is approved by the Arizona State Board of Nursing.
GateWay is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Why should you choose an accredited school?
Although many schools offer seemingly similar degree and certification options, not all schools are accredited. In many instances, accreditation of the degree or program you complete may be required in order to become certified to work in the field.