Environmental Science and Water Resources Technologies Career Fair
Save the Date: March 5, 2020, 6 to 9 p.m., Copper Room/IE1302 | Washington Campus
- Network with various stakeholders including municipalities, government agencies, and private companies associated with the water industry.
- See presentations by guest speakers on various aspects of career opportunities in the water industry.
- Learn about the new Environmental Science and Water Resources Technologies programs and courses.
- Speak with an advisor about specific program and enrollment questions.
Work in Water Technologies involves monitoring the quality of water resources and maintaining local, state and federal purification process requirements for safety purposes.
Water and wastewater treatment technicians, also known as facilities technicians, are needed to maintain high water quality. Job duties include:
- Managing and streamlining proper system operations
- Maintaining water supplies and wastewater treatment facilities
- Following governmental procedures needed to produce the highest quality of water for municipal and industrial systems
- Acquiring an in-depth understanding of exactly how machinery and processes work
- Efficiently managing workflow for superior water quality
- Troubleshooting problems under pressure
- Repairing breakdowns
- Making overall processes run smoothly
- Working effectively without supervision
Characteristics of professionals in this industry include caring deeply about accuracy and attention to detail. A technician's work is important to the protection of human life and safety. A successful career in this profession requires technicians to have:
- A high level of math and science proficiency
- Thorough knowledge of water quality standards
- Knowledge of plant operations and maintenance procedures
Employment is found in water treatment facilities, and local, state and federal governmental agencies.
Surprise-GateWay Training Facility
11401 N. 136th Ave.
Surprise, AZ 85374
Distribution Operations Technicians**
Water and Wastewater Treatment Plant and System Operators**
Certificate of Completion in Water or Wastewater Treatment: $2,781*
Certificate of Completion in Water and Wastewater Treatment: $2,781*
Associate in Applied Science Water Resource Technologies: $6,736*
Visit O*NET OnLine for median salary.
* Please note that these are only estimates and do not include books. These estimates may change based on increases to tuition, course fees and book costs. Estimates are based on tuition rates for in-county students. Additional fees may apply.
** For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, as well as wage and employment trend information.