The Certificate of Competency (CCT) in Aesthetician provides students with theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to perform comprehensive professional aesthetics treatments including facial treatments, body treatments, skin resurfacing, and hair removal. The program also provides training in safety and infection control procedures and an overview of career and business planning. This program meets the requirements to apply for the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology (AZBOC) aesthetics licensing exam.
Students must successfully pass each course with a minimum grade of 80% and complete 100% of the course hours required in order to continue on to the next course.
Students may apply for graduation from the Aesthetics program upon successful completion of their program hours and a score of 80% or higher.
Completion of the program does not guarantee students an aesthetician license (in any state).
The Arizona State Board of Cosmetology may deny a student`s application if it is determined that they do not meet citizenship and/or high school education requirements if under the age of 18. If students have concerns about their citizenship status and/or high school education requirements, they are strongly encouraged to immediately contact the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology via its website: HTTPS://BOC.AZ.GOV, give full disclosure of their situation, and save any written response.
GateWay Community College will not give refunds or be held liable for graduates who do not receive an Arizona aesthetician license.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Practice industry accepted professional and ethical behavior.
- Perform consultation, services, advisement, and documentation within the scope of practice.
- Perform safety and sanitation practices in compliance with the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology.
- Evaluate a client’s consultation, goals, and commitment to develop an effective skincare treatment protocol.
- Select appropriate services, techniques, and products to achieve desired outcomes.
- Perform skincare treatments using an understanding of chemistry, biology, skin conditions, and infection control protocols.
- Employ personal wellness strategies.
- Document performance of service releases, client treatment records, and incidences in accordance with industry and Arizona State Board of Cosmetology (AZBOC) standards.
- Collaborate effectively with a diversity of individuals and teams.
- Communicate in a culturally responsive manner to build trust and rapport with clients, colleagues, and various industry professionals.
- Utilize retailing strategies and client education to promote products and treatment series.
- Explain the components of a business plan including marketing and self-promotion strategies and tools.
- Create a professional development plan to remain current in the field of aesthetics.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Maricopa County-based annual median wages* for this certificate. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information. You can click on any occupation to view the detail regarding education level, wages, and employment information.
The following is the suggested course sequence by block. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with a navigator to discuss their academic and career goals.
- The course sequence is laid out by block and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- This is a cohort program in which students progress through their course of study together in the required course sequence.
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|EST102||Aesthetics Essentials||Prerequisites: Admission to the Aesthetics program, or Program Manager's approval.||200|
|EST110||Advanced Aesthetics||Prerequisites: EST102 or Program Manager's approval.||200|
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|EST115||Aesthetics Mastery||Prerequisites: EST110 or Program Manager's approval.||200|
Students must earn a grade of ‘P’ or ‘C’ or better (depending on the course grading scale) for all courses required within the program.
Weekly hour requirements vary by program. Students should meet with a navigator to discuss these requirements further. Actual completion times may vary. A separate $15 Registration Fee will be charged per academic year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Competency in Aesthetician (24 Hours Per Week) (https://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm12?id=167096).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.
The pathway map presented above is for the current catalog year and is the intended pathway map for new students. All previous catalog years for this pathway map are available at the link below.Previous catalog years for Certificate of Competency (CCT) in Aesthetician (24 Hours Per Week)