This program prepares individuals to understand and apply techniques needed to successfully?complete competencies?in accordance to the?Arizona State Board of Cosmetology as a nail technician, under the supervision of a licensed instructor. Students will learn proper steps in safety, sanitation, shaping of the fingernails and toenails with?various nail files, remove unwanted cuticle?skin, calluses, product application and use, massage, nail sculpture, nail enhancements, design art, customer service skills, laws and regulations, marketing,?and business practices.
Students must successfully pass each course with a minimum grade of 80% and 100% of the course hours required in order to continue on to the next course. Students may apply for graduation from the Nail Technician program upon successful completion of the program hours and a score of 80% or higher. Completion of the program does not guarantee a nail technician license (in any state). The Arizona State Board of Cosmetology may deny an application if it`s determined that the student does not meet citizenship and/or high school education requirements if under the age of 18. If students have concerns about their citizenship status and/or high school education requirements, they are strongly encouraged to immediately contact the Arizona State Board of Cosmetology via its website: HTTPS://BOC.AZ.GOV, give full disclosure of their situation, and save any written response. GateWay Community College will not give refunds or be held liable for graduates who do not receive an Arizona cosmetologist license.
This pathway map will help you gain the expertise needed to:
- Demonstrate and apply proper infection control procedures, safety techniques, and first aid.
- Explain the fundamental concepts of microbiology in nail technology.
- Explain and identify the fundamental concepts of nail theory.
- Demonstrate proper nail care services and applications.
- Demonstrate advanced nail and skin care services.
- Identify and apply tools and resources needed to gain employment in the beauty industry.
- Apply and demonstrate learned concepts in practical applications to successfully pass final written exam with 80% or better.
- Apply and describe learned concepts in theory to successfully pass final written exam with 80% or better.
Successful completion of this certificate may lead to employment in a variety of different occupations and industries. Below are examples of related occupations with associated Arizona-based annual median wages* for this program. Education requirements vary for the occupations listed below, so you may need further education or degrees in order to qualify for some of these jobs and earn the related salaries. Please visit with an academic advisor and/or program director for additional information.
Manicurists and Pedicurists
The following is the suggested course sequence by block. Please keep in mind:
- Students should meet with a navigator to discuss their academic and career goals.
- The course sequence is laid out by block and may be affected when students enter the program at different times of the year.
- This is a cohort program in which students progress through their course of study together in the required course sequence.
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|NLT100||Nail Technology I||200|
|NLT105||Nail Technology II||200|
|Course Name||Requisites||Notes||Clock Hours|
|NLT110||Nail Technology III||200|
Students must earn a grade of ‘P’ or ‘C’ or better (depending on the course grading scale) for all courses required within the program.
Weekly hour requirements vary by program. Students should meet with a navigator to discuss these requirements further. Actual completion times may vary. A separate $15 Registration Fee will be charged per academic year.
View MCCCD’s curriculum website for the Certificate of Competency in Nail Technician (http://aztransmac2.asu.edu/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MCCCD.woa/wa/freeForm12?id=149648).
At Maricopa, we strive to provide you with accurate and current information about our degree and certificate offerings. Due to the dynamic nature of the curriculum process, course and program information is subject to change. As a result, the course list associated with this degree or certificate on this site does not represent a contract, nor does it guarantee course availability. If you are interested in pursuing this degree or certificate, we encourage you to meet with an advisor to discuss the requirements at your college for the appropriate catalog year.