Ease your transition from high school to a GateWay Community College full-time student!
Applications are being accepted for NEW students to join EXCEL!
GateWay Community College is one of only three Maricopa Community Colleges with the EXCEL Program. EXCEL is a student success program providing student scholars with assistance to navigate college toward degree completion and university transfer. Our program is funded by the Arizona Community Foundation and we also partner with College Success Arizona.
With EXCEL, you will not be alone. We will be here to help you every step of the way! Students working toward their first bachelor degree should apply! For more information and requirements please read here.
Also, students without a bachelor degree working toward a certificate program and Pell Grant eligible may qualify for the EXCEL Program. Contact the EXCEL Coordinator to discuss.
Want to earn FREE college credits?
- Summer Bridge Program (June 3 - July 25)
* 2018-2019 FAFSA -requires 2016 tax information. MUST complete FAFSA for EXCEL funding. (GWCC school code 008303).
- Earn six college credits FREE (courses are selected by EXCEL)
- Cohort model – block scheduling
- Free text books
- Free bus pass
- Free breakfast and snacks
Come learn about the EXCEL Program and how to earn six college credits FREE! Attend an Open House:
Where: GWCC Washington Campus, Student Success Center MA-1372
Time: 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. (Pizza will be provided)
When: Tuesday, May 7 [Register here] | Monday, May 13 [Register here]
- Summer Institute (Thursday, July 18, 1 p.m. - 8 p.m.) at GateWay
Attendance is mandatory for all EXCEL student scholars.
- EXCEL backpack with school supplies and EXCEL polo (new students)
- Impactful workshops and keynote speakers from ASU!
- Lunch and dinner provided
- Scholarships awarded for GWCC fall semester!
- Fall and Spring
- Personal and focused academic advisement
- Workshops, enhancement activities, and mentoring sessions
- Scholarship opportunities
- Borrow a laptop or graphing calculator (as available)
- Textbook assistance (case-by-case)
- Free bus pass
- Dedicated Peer Mentors and Success Coach
- Snack pantry
- Emergency financial assistance (case-by-case)
How to Apply
- Download, complete and return your Application to the EXCEL office – drop off in person or email attachments accepted (email address noted below).
- Complete the GateWay Community College Admission Process
- If your GPA is 2.5 or less, take your Placement Tests
- Complete FAFSA for the followings years:
- 2018-2019 (Requires 2016 Tax Information) Summer Bridge
- 2019-2020 (Requires 2017 Tax Information) Fall and Spring Semesters
Program Location & Contact Information
EXCEL Office Location
Main Building, Room MA1372
Gateway Community College
108 N. 40th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85034