Hospital Central Service technology involves providing service support for patient care in a hospital setting. This occupation provides an entry-level opportunity to begin a career in healthcare.
A Central Service Technician's responsibilities include:
- Providing vital patient care services support in a healthcare facility
- Knowing all of the tools used in an operating room
- Sterilizing and packaging instruments used during surgery
- Decontaminating, cleaning, processing, assembling, storing and distributing medical devices and supplies used in patient care
Manual dexterity is an essential skill needed by technicians. Tasks must be performed quickly and proficiently, especially when handling instruments.
Technicians use written and verbal communication skills to interact with nurses, surgical technologists and the surgical support team in order to provide the best possible patient care.
Medical Equipment Preparers**
Certificate of Completion in Hospital Central Service Technology: $3,202 - $4,000*
Visit O*NET OnLine for median salary.
* Please note that these are only estimates and do not include books. These estimates may change based on increases to tuition, course fees and book costs. Estimates are based on the 2016-2017 tuition rates for in-county students. Additional fees may apply.
** For information about careers in your area of study, visit O*NET OnLine for detailed job descriptions, education requirements, as well as wage and employment trend information.